Friday, May 13, 2005

Just Be 'Cos

Today's guest posting on the Bill Cosby/Eric Dyson actually is closer to my own views. It comes to us courtesy of the NABJ forum from Teresa Ridley of NiaOnline(www.niaonline.com), a site seeking to create a direct link and trusted dialogue with African-American women. Here's what she says:

"I would suggest that the class-and-race schism isn't a neat one. First of
all, I know plenty of lower-income Black folks (some of whom live in the
same housing project in which I was raised) who agree with every word
they've heard Cosby make about the behavior of *some* teenagers (and, too
often, their parents). In fact, I've heard more upper-middle-class members
of the Black intelligentsia dis Cosby for being politically incorrect than
I've heard lower- and middle-income Blacks disagree with him

I also think we all realize that behavioral and educational problems can be
found among teenagers of every ethnicity and class. But I see nothing wrong
with focusing on Black teenagers, who face some of the biggest challenges in
terms of education and job success. And those challenges tend to be both
class- and race-specific."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home